Protein Packed Lemon Braised Leeks and Quinoa
- 1 ⅓ cups water
- ⅔ cup quinoa - dry
- 2 leeks - sliced, ends and dark green parts removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest - from about ½ small lemon
- ½ cup feta cheese - crumbled
For the dressing:
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest - from the other ½ of a small lemon
- 1 lemon - juiced, use the same one you used for the zest
- 1 heaping tbsp parsley - finely chopped, more to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
In a small saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add the quinoa and return to a boil. Cover, lower heat to a simmer, and cook for 12 to 15 minutes or until the quinoa is cooked and the water has been absorbed.
While the quinoa is cooking, heat the olive oil a large skillet over medium-high heat. Clean the leeks and slice the white and light green parts. Add them to the skillet and sauté for 5-7 minutes. Pour in the vegetable broth and add the lemon zest. Cover the skillet and let the leeks cook for about 5 minutes.
Combine the cooked quinoa and leeks in a large bowl. Add the feta and mix until well combined. At this point, you can choose to serve the salad warm or put it in the fridge and serve it cold later.
Prepare the dressing by whisking together the olive oil, other teaspoon of lemon zest, parsley, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the quinoa salad when you are ready to serve it, and enjoy!