INGREDIENTS (Makes 4 to 6 servings)
for the Salad
* 4 medium Chioggia beets (or another beet variety) washed, peeled and cut into matchsticks
* 2 scallions, thinly sliced (about 1/4 cup)
* 2/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
* 2 tablespoons roasted unsalted or salted pepitas*
for the Vinaigrette
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
* 2 tablespoons lime juice
* 2 teaspoons honey
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* The pepita, a pumpkin seed, is high in zinc and other nutrients. Pepitas are available at most major supermarkets and Mexican specialty markets.
1. Whisk all vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Wash and peel beets. Using a sharp knife, cut into matchsticks.
3. Place beets in small bowl.
4. Add scallions, cilantro and pepitas, and toss.
5. Add vinaigrette and toss until well coated.
Serve at room temperature.