Leek Stew with Potatoes
Leek Stew with potatoes
- 2-3 medium leeks dark green stems removed, washed thoroughly and sliced thinly
- 2-3 medium potatoes peeled and chopped into small cubes
- 1 large or 2 small carrots peeled and chopped into small cubes
- ½ medium celeriac celery root, peeled and chopped into small cubes
- 4 cups water
- 2 low-sodium vegetable cube
- 3 dry bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- black pepper to taste
- Cayenne pepper to taste (optional)
- Holy Cow Smoked Beef Sausage optional
- Greek yogurt or kefir
- extra virgin olive oil or flaxseed oil
In a large soup pot bring water to boil. Add chopped vegetables and bay leaf. Lower to a simmer. Cook for 20-25 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
Add vegetable cube. Stir in turmeric and apple cider vinegar. Mix stew well and leave to cook for another 5 minutes.
Serve hot. Add cayenne pepper or black pepper to taste if desired.
Optional: Add a tablespoon of Greek yogurt or kefir and teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil or flaxseed oil.
Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 2-3 days and also can be frozen.For a kid-friendly version, skip cayenne pepper.
Calories: 145kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 4g | Sodium: 261mg | Potassium: 837mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 3790IU | Vitamin C: 25.2mg | Calcium: 98mg | Iron: 5.4mg