Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana
Instant Pot Zuppa Toscana
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb Holy Cow Beef Sausage, *
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups peeled & chopped potatoes
- 32 oz chicken or veggie stock
1/2 teaspoon oregano
Salt & pepper, red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or coconut cream for paleo
- 2 cups chopped kale
- Cooked Bacon bits (optional)
- Parmesan cheese, shredded (optional)
INSTANT POT INSTRUCTIONS
- Press the ‘Saute’ button, and add the olive oil. When the pot is hot, add the ground sausage and brown it until no longer pink, about 3 minutes.
- Add onion and garlic and saute for another 3 minutes. Add potatoes, vegetable stock, and oregano and season with salt and pepper. Stir everything.
- Lock the lid and turn the valve to ‘Sealing’. Press the ‘Manual’ or ‘Pressure Cook’ button and adjust for 10 minutes, pressure set to ‘High’. When the cook time is over, turn off the Instant Pot by pressing the ‘Turn Off’ button. Carefully quick release the pressure with a wooden spatula by turning the valve to releasing. Make sure you don’t hurt your hands from the steam.
Once the steam is completely gone and the metal pin on the lid drops, carefully open the lid and add heavy cream, the chopped kale and coked bacon bits (optional) to the pot. Stir everything, and serve warm.
In a large pot over medium heat, cook sausage, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until browned and no longer pink, 5 to 7 minutes.
Add onion to pot and let cook until soft, 2-3 minutes, then add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more. Season with salt, pepper and oregano. Add vegetable stock and potatoes and cook over medium heat, until potatoes are tender, 23 to 25 minutes.
Stir in kale and let cook until leaves are tender and bright green, 1-2 minutes, then stir in heavy cream and simmer 2 minutes more.
Season with pepper, and serve.
TIPS & NOTES
* You can use turkey sausage instead of pork sausage to make a healthier Zuppa Toscana.
** For Paleo and Whole 30 Zuppa Toscana, substitute the potatoes with chopped cauliflower florets. And use the dairy-free option below.
*** For dairy-free Zuppa Toscana, substitute heavy cream with cold coconut cream. Make sure that your can of coconut milk is refrigerated and use only the solid white cream from the can.
This soup freezes well, just omit the cream and the kale when freezing. Add them to the soup when you reheat it before serving.
- Calories: 428kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 81mg | Sodium: 1116mg | Potassium: 922mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 2900IU | Vitamin C: 45.1mg | Calcium: 102mg | Iron: 5.8mg