Healthy Orange Chicken (Instantpot)
- 3 - 4 lbs Chicken Legs (drumsticks)
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 cup Coconut Aminos
- 1 Tbsp Rice Wine or coconut Vinegar
- 7 whole cloves Garlic
- 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes (or more to taste)
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Ginger (or 1 tsp powdered ginger)
- Zest of 2 Oranges
- 1 1/2 cups fresh squeezed Orange Juice
Add after Pressure Cooking
- 2 Tbsp Arrowroot starch
- 3 Tbsp Water
- 2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Toasted Sesame or avocado Oil
- Green Onions (for garnish), sliced
- Add the chicken legs, salt, coconut aminos, rice wine vinegar, garlic, red pepper flakes, ginger, half of the orange zest, and the orange juice.
- Put the lid on the pot and set the steam release knob to the Sealing position.
- Press the Pressure Cook/Manual button or dial, then the +/- button or dial to select 15 minutes. It will take several minutes for the pot to come to pressure
- When the cook cycle is finished, let the pot sit undisturbed for 5 minutes (5 minute Natural Release). Then turn the steam release knob to the Venting position to do a Quick Release of the remaining steam/pressure.
- When the pin in the lid drops down, open it up and remove the chicken legs to a foil lined baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray.
- Turn on the broiler to 375° to start heating it up (only if you want to caramelize the coating).
- Mix together the arrowroot starch and water (slurry). Turn on the pot's Sauté setting and when it simmers, stir in the slurry
- When it thickens, turn off the pot and stir in the brown sugar and sesame oil. Taste and add salt if needed.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken legs and put them under the broiler if you want to caramelize the coating. Just for a few minutes.
- Garnish with green onions and serve with rice or fresh veggies