Greek Spinach Pies (SPANAKOPITA) & TZATZIKI SAUCE Recipe
Spinach Pies (SPANAKOPITA)
- 1 bunch fresh chopped spinach, washed and dried (salad spinner)
- 3 TBSP butter or avocado oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup feta crumbles
- 3 eggs, divided-2 yolks for the filling, save the remaining for brushing on as a glaze
- 2 sheets puff pastry dough, thawed
- TZATZIKI SAUCE Recipe below
- Chop the fresh spinach.
- In a skillet over medium heat melt the butter or oil and cook the onions until soft and translucent.
- While the onions cook mix the feta and the egg yolks in a mixing bowl
- Mix the remaining egg and egg whites together to make an egg wash and set aside.
- When the onions are done mix them with the cold spinach to cool them off.
- Then mix them into feta and eggs.
- roll out one Puff Pastry sheet to roughly 12 inches square, score the sheet into 16 squares approximately 3x3 inches.
- Divide the filling in half in the bowl and then split one of those halves between the 16 squares.
- Fold each square over to form a triangle and then use a fork or your fingers to crimp the edge.
- Transfer the hand pies to a baking sheet, brush lightly with the egg wash and bake in a 350˚ oven for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned and cooked through.
For the TZATZIKI SAUCE (also doubles as salad dressing):
- 2 Tsp dried dill
- 3 mint leaves, optional (or 1/2 tsp dried mint)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 small onion, halved
- 2 cups Greek plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded and quartered (or 1/4 of a large one)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- White pepper to taste
- In a blender jar, add dill, mint, garlic and onion. Cover and PULSE until garlic and onion are minced.
- Add remaining ingredients. Cover and PULSE until desired consistency.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.