Chicken/Spinach Baked Meatballs w rustic Fall veggiesRecipe
Chicken/Spinach Baked Meatballs Recipe
(I roasted my potatoes, beets, carrots in avocado oil and three a packet of organic ranch seasoning on top on 425 degree oven for 20 mins)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (finely minced)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional – adjust to your preference)
- 1 bunch FRESH chopped spinach
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup chicken or veggie broth
- 2 lbs ground chicken
- 1- 1.5 cup bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare a large baking sheet by spraying with cooking spray.
- In a frying pan on medium heat, heat olive oil until hot. Then add onion, garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Sauté until onion is tender (about 5-6 minutes total time).
- Add spinach to pan and combine with onion mixture. Add balsamic vinegar and broth and mix well to combine. Cook until most of the liquid has cooked out (evaporated). I don’t have much liquid in my pan after I combine all these, but it will depend on how well you drained your spinach. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, bread crumbs, and egg. Add cooled onion/spinach mixture to the meat. I do all of this step with my hands, but you can use a spoon if you prefer.
- With your hands, create meatballs that are about 1 – 1 1/2 inches in diameter and place them on the baking sheet. Leave a little bit of space between each meatball. When you are done shaping your meatballs, you will probably have about 40-42 meatballs from this recipe. Don’t need that many? Freeze them after baking or cut this recipe in half (but I say freeze them and then you’ve done the work only once and have a future meal).
- Bake until your meatballs are cooked through with an internal temperature of 160 degrees F – which was about 20 minutes for my oven. Remove from oven and serve as desired.