Cauliflower & Marinated Mushroom Antipasto Salad
- 1 pound mushrooms
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar, packed
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 bay leaf
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 T fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 T caper juice (from the jar of capers)
- 4 cups chopped raw cauliflower
- 1 cup marinated mushrooms, (recipe above) sliced
- 2 oz. @HolyCowBeef Summer Sausage, cut into short strips
- 2 oz. Provolone cheese, cut into short strips
- 6 oz. can black olives, drained and cut in half
- 12 oz. jar roasted red peppers, drained and cut into strips
- 3 T capers, drained (more or less to taste)
INSTRUCTIONS for Marinated Mushrooms:
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook mushrooms just until tender, about 3-4 minutes; drain well.
- In a large bowl, combine mushrooms, olive oil, vinegar, red onion, garlic, sugar, oregano, peppercorns, red pepper flakes and bay leaf; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add to cauliflower recipe
- Prepare a pan with a few inches of water, with a steamer insert in the pan.
- Bring water to boil while you cut up the cauliflower.
- Cut out the core of the cauliflower and discard and cut cauliflower into bite sized pieces.
- When the water is boiling, add the cauliflower to the steamer or steamer basket and cook just 4 minutes. (Test a piece of cauliflower to be sure it’s tender but still slightly crisp.)
- Dump cauliflower into a colander placed in the sink and let it drain well.
- While the cauliflower drains, make your marinated mushrooms.
- When cauliflower has drained well, put a double layer of paper towels on the counter, spread cauliflower out on the towels and pat dry with more towels. Be sure to get the cauliflower as dry as you can get it, or the salad will be watery.
- When you’re ready to assemble the salad, slice the salami, Provolone, and drained red peppers into strips, pour in the sliced mushrooms with dressing, and drain olives and cut in half. Measure out the capers.
- Put the marinated cauliflower in a large bowl and toss with the salami strips, Provolone strips, red pepper strips, sliced mushrooms, olives, and capers.
- Season to taste with salt and fresh-ground black pepper and serve.
- This salad can be made several hours ahead and will also keep in the fridge for a few days.